Patient TestimonialsShare Your Story
14-Year-Old Back on the Bike After Pelvic Injury
Biking is a popular mode of transportation and form of exercise, especially during the summer. But, like any activity, there is risk involved. A recent study showed that in the U.S., 45,000 cyclists are injured on the road each year.
14-year-old Lily Charkow of River Forest, Illinois, experienced this first hand last summer when she was hit by a car while riding her bike to pick up lunch near her home. She was struck at a busy intersection and immediately rushed to the local emergency room at Rush Oak Park Hospital. She was scared, unable to move, and in a great deal of pain.
In the emergency room, Lily was diagnosed with multiple fractures in her pelvis. The ER physician explained to Lily and her parents that she would likely need surgery to repair the damage. She recommended a transfer to Rush University Medical Center for a procedure by orthopedic trauma surgeon Dr. Joel Williams of Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush.
During the surgery, Dr. Williams re-aligned her pelvic fractures, then inserted screws to stabilize them.
After the surgery, Lily couldn’t bear any weight on her left side for several months in order to allow her fractures to heal properly. Before being released from the hospital, she worked with inpatient physical and occupational therapists to ensure that she was safe to go home.
Lily spent two weeks in the hospital. Although no 14-year-old wants to spend the last few days of summer and the start of a new school year in the hospital, Lily’s mom, Kristen, raves about the kindness and accommodating nature of Dr. Williams, his team, and all the staff at Rush. They did their best to minimize Lily’s pain and keep her spirits high, even allowing the family dog to pay a visit.
Throughout the subsequent months, Lily visited Dr. Williams for her surgical follow-up and regularly worked with outpatient physical therapists to get back on her feet. In the spring, she underwent a second surgery to remove the screws in her pelvis and was thrilled to be up and walking two days later.
Despite the trauma her body endured, Lily has returned to all of her favorite activities, like tennis and yoga, and plans to be back on the bike this summer.
“Dr. Williams, his staff, and all of the staff at Rush did a wonderful job. We are beyond grateful,” Kristen said.
To contact Dr. Williams, call 844-9TRAUMA or request an appointment here.
- Dr. Williams is a spectacular surgeon with great bedside manner! I’m impressed with the outcome of my surgery. I’ve even had other surgeons compliment the post-op images. In addition, I was highly satisfied with the efficient team that works with Dr. Williams (residents, office staff).
- Dr. Williams and his team at Rush are top notch in every category. I’m a relatively young guy for a broken hip but it happened. From consultation to surgery to post op, I was very impressed by Dr. Williams, both personally and professionally. I was up again and moving like a relatively young guy in no time. Would 100% recommend him to a family member.
- Dr. Williams was very knowledgeable and spent the appropriate amount of time to help patient. He answered all my questions and made me feel like he cared and explained and listened appropriately, as well as his staff.
- I was lucky to have had Dr. Williams as my surgeon. I do not think I would have recovered as quickly without his expert care. After a severe injury to my ankle after a motorcycle crash he had me in the surgical suite two days after I limped into the ER. The procedure was minimally invasive for the injury and done without any complication. I would and have recommended him to my family for their orthopedic needs.
Nik in Chicago, IL
- Dr Williams has been instrumental in getting me back on my feet. After suffering a motorcycle injury to the tibula and knee, Dr Williams has rid me of infection once left by a the original surgeon on call in a different hospital. Love this mans bedside manor,and his most competent staff. Dr Williams office personnel are second to none.
- Dr. Williams is an excellent diagnostician! My son had been diagnosed wrongly by a different Dr. As soon as Dr. Williams listened to my sons shoulder he ordered an MRI because he suspected a bone tumor. His instincts were correct. My son had the tumor removed the following week. Dr. Williams' whole team was helpful and professional. Everything went smoothly and we could not be more grateful to Dr. Williams and his team! I WILL recommend him to everyone I know.
Jeannie Bostler in Lake in the Hills, IL
- I requested transfer to Rush in Sept. 2016 with multiple traumatic pelvic and arm fractures. After meeting Dr. Williams I knew that I had made the right decision. His care, professional expertise, and skill are the reason I am again walking, running and cycling. Dr. Williams strives for perfection and is one of the most compassionate physicians I have ever met.
Richard Katz in Crown Point, IN
- Very kind and helpful. Took time to discuss my issues and what was happening and going to happen during and after surgery.
Ruthann Botica in Chicago, il
- Fantastic bed side manor. Extreamly competent.
- He is the best ortho doc in the state
- I was referred to Dr. Williams for my non-union humerus fracture. After a number of months living as the one arm man, Dr. Williams installed a plate and did a bone graft. The result is really marvelous. I'm getting my strength back, have good range of motion, and essentially no restrictions. I couldn't be happier!
- I took my son to see Dr. Williams because a different Doctor said my he would need a plate put in his clavicle. Dr. Williams took one listen to my sons shoulder noise and immediately knew he did not need the surgery that was recommended, he ordered an MRI and as he suspected there was an osteocondroma (bone tumor). It was removed the next week in one piece and it was not cancer. We are very grateful this tumor was found, it would have kept growing and become even more painful. Dr. Williams has great instinct!
- I was in a bad accident that left me incapacitated/unable to walk. I was in torturous pain with a badly broken pelvis. I was transferred to Rush/Midwest Ortho for surgery with Dr. Williams. Most of the surgical pain was gone within 24 hours. I was out of bed 48 hours after surgery and able to walk with a walker and sit in a chair. Incisions were tiny and still fading. Dr. W has a great personality and I trusted him right away even though there wasn't much time to meet him before surg.
- My family and I had to fight dragons and hobbits with swords to get my husband transferred from Norwegian American Hospital to Rush. Literally. They lied to us to try to keep us there because we have private insurance. Once we got to Rush, it was amazeballs. My husband had a major operation on his hip with a hip trauma expert. The care is excellent, the nurses were caring, the facilities were clean and professional. My husband was treated very well by Rush staff and doctors. I would definitely go to Rush again. The after care follow up appointment was great and Dr. Williams is knowledgeable and passionate about his specialty. He does the word of God and has saved my husband.
- This past September, I fractured my femur, separated my shoulder and broke my arm on a one-wheel motorized skateboard. I was so fortunate to find Dr. Joel Williams and the orthopedic group at Midwest Orthopaedics. My leg required surgery and Dr. Williams made me as comfortable as I could be with such a traumatic injury. He took his time explaining what damage I had done on my leg and what I could expect during surgery. The surgery went as well as could be expected, and I was allowed to immediately walk on my repaired leg. I have seen Dr. Williams a number of times post op, and he is totally consistent, professional but relaxed, informative and kind. My healing has progressed excellently and I am on my way to a complete recovery. I was lucky to have Dr. Williams on my team and I recommend him to anyone in need of his terrific skills and approach!
- I found myself delivered to Rush University Hospital via an ambulance with a fractured femur. Not exactly something I would recommend; however, if you find yourself in the need of amazing emergency room care, hospital card, and an amazing trauma surgeon I am please to give high praise to Dr. Joel Williams and his team at Rush University Hospital. There were numerous unknowns when I came into the hospital. And to be honest I was just plain scared. But once I was in Dr. Williams care I felt like everything was going to be okay. The tests that were going to be run where explained. The surgery and the approach were clear to me. My family members were included in each step along the way. I am not sure being in a hospital is supposed to be enjoyable but honestly the staff was so great, nice and helpful that they made my time the best that it could be. The evening after the surgery I was back up on my feet. Dr. Williams was great about checking up on me and seeing how I was doing. He really genuinely cared enough to track my progress through the past 3 months. Dr Williams gave me good follow-up recommendations and interacted with my physical therapist to make sure everything was going well. The best proof is 3 months later my movement restrictions are removed and I am ready to get back into my triathlon training. And maybe some snow boarding.. And well all sorts of funs mischief. Thanks again Rush University Hospital and Dr. Joel Williams.
- Very caring, technically excellent, down to earth, he does everything he can to make you better.
- I saw Dr. Williams after my I fractured my hip. Knowing his reputation, I arranged to be transferred from another hospital to Rush, and I am very glad that I did. He and his team performed my surgery with skill and care. His follow-up care was excellent as well. I heartily recommend him to anyone seeking orthopedic services in the Chicagoland area and beyond.
- I was visiting home, Chicago, in June and suffered a nasty broken leg (a tibular plateau fracture which kept me non weight bearing for 3 months.) After a month, and excellent care and surgery from Dr. Williams, when I returned to New England to start PT, my surgeon here was extremely impressed with his work on my leg. And my PT has gone swimmingly and I'm walking right on time. I'm very grateful to him for his skill and caring.
- I found myself delivered to Rush University Hospital via an ambulance with a fractured femur. Not exactly something I would recommend; however, if you find yourself in the need of amazing emergency room care, hospital card, and an amazing trauma surgeon I am please to give high praise to Dr. Joel Williams and his team at Rush University Hospital.
There were numerous unknowns when I came into the hospital. And to be honest I was just plain scared. But once I was in Dr. Williams care I felt like everything was going to be okay. The tests that were going to be run where explained. The surgery and the approach were clear to me. My family members were included in each step along the way.
I am not sure being in a hospital is supposed to be enjoyable but honestly the staff was so great, nice and helpful that they made my time the best that it could be.
The evening after the surgery I was back up on my feet. Dr. Williams was great about checking up on me and seeing how I was doing. He really genuinely cared enough to track my progress through the past 3 months. Dr Williams gave me good follow-up recommendations and interacted with my physical therapist to make sure everything was going well.
The best proof is 3 months later my movement restrictions are removed and I am ready to get back into my triathlon training. And maybe some snow boarding.. And well all sorts of funs mischief.
Thanks again Rush University Hospital and Dr. Joel Williams.
- I was very happy with my surgery done by Dr. Joel Williams.
I highly recommend him.
Submit Your Testimonial
If you’re interested in submitting a testimonial for Joel Williams, M.D. please use the form below to do so.